- 14k Recycled Gold-Plated Brass Pendent
- 16" Gold-Fill Chain, 2" Extender, Gold Fill Clasp & Findings
- Crafted Using Responsibly Sourced & Recycled Metals
- Handmade in a Solar-Powered Workshop in rural Malawi
- Creates skill training, employment, and develops communities
- Every YEWO purchase plants a tree in Northern Malawi
"Based in a small village in rural Northern Malawi, YEWO is a purpose-driven, community-led brand that creates timeless jewelry and functional home goods.
We prioritize equitable training, a safe workspace, monthly living wages, social benefits, and access to interest free loans for our entire team.
In addition, for every YEWO product sold, we partner with a women's reforestation co-op in Northern Malawi to plant a tree.
We believe there is so much power in the consumer market to create positive impact to make the world a better, more equitable place through the items we bring into our everyday lives."
14k Recycled Gold Plating: After significant investment, testing, and training we have upgraded our YEWO Workshop in Manchewe Village to include an off-grid, gold-plating lab.
Gold Filled: Gold-filled jewelry is the closest thing to solid gold, and can maintain its quality and appearance when well-cared for.
Gold-filled pieces contain more than 100x more gold than gold-plated jewelry. For an item to be classified as gold-filled, 5% of the total weight of the item must be made up of gold. The layer of gold is much thicker and stronger, therefore more resistant to tarnishing. If you're looking to invest in a lifetime piece, this is for you!
More About Our Metals:
- All of our metals are nickel & lead free.
- We use brass as our base metal (under the gold plating). Brass is a sustainable metal alloy comprised of copper and zinc. Today almost 90% of all brass in the world is recycled.
- All YEWO metals are sourced from reputable companies in the USA and South Africa.
- We use sterling silver ear posts beneath the gold plate.
Minimal Waste: Metal scraps are saved, sorted, and reused.
1. Treat It With Love: Remove jewelry before rigorous physical activity, showering, or going to bed.
2. Prolong Its Life: Store your jewelry in your YEWO cloth bag away from natural sunlight and heat.
3. Keep It Shiny: You can polish your Gold Plated / Gold Filled pieces with a damp cloth (do not use jewelry cleaner on plated items)
4. Keep Away from Moisture: Our materials don't mix well with moisture. Avoid contact with water, humidity, lotion and perfume.
5. Handmade Nature: The jewelry you are purchasing is made to last, but like most handmade items, it is delicate.
Values & Sustainability
Values & Sustainability
YEWO uses only recycled and ethically sourced metals. Made in a fully solar-powered facility in Malawi. This collective provides local jobs, and plants trees for every purchase with a small group in Northern Malawi. YEWO wages surpass the local minimum wage requirements and follow the Anker Methodology for calculating truly livable wages that allow employees and artisans to save, build wealth, and plan for the future.
"YEWO is a social enterprise based in Malawi, Africa, and Asheville, North Carolina. We create intentional pieces with a focus on sustainable materials, ethical production, functionality, and design. Our entire jewelry collection is designed and crafted in house, and our home goods are designed in house and produced in collaboration with independent artisans in and around Malawi."